Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Change of Plans

Its funny how life works... you think you have everything worked out, and then nothing plays out how you thought.

1. I may be resigning my membership from The Church sooner than I thought. This hurts because I still have a testimony of so much of The Church. Of the fundamental and key points. But I'd rather beat them to the punch if you know what I mean. Lately I had even been thinking that it would be possible to retain my membership, forever. I mean I'm only a priest... surely The Church is more concerned with the Actively-Gay Elders or High Priests. However it looks like someone might be exploring the avenues that it would take to get my membership pulled. I'm interested to hear what all you bloggers think about my possible resignation.

2. I'm not moving up to Seattle this year. This does NOT mean I'm staying in the parents' house. I'm still moving out the first week of June. In fact I actually already know where and with who (I'm excited and nervous about the prospect of living with a girl!) I will be living. This was a very difficult choice to make, and perhaps it is the less practical choice to make, but I feel that staying is the right choice for me now. Things have changed. A great new opportunity has presented itself. I feel like I would be a complete idiot if I were to walk away from it without doing everything I possibly could to make it work. I'm tired of living in the "what if's" of life.

I can't thank you all enough for your comments on my last post. I needed that affirmation that I had made the right choice to stand up for myself. Life has been so good lately! I like the way I feel about myself. I have awesome friends and family and others in my life. I'm seriously so blessed.

12 comments:

  1. Follow your heart Austin. I'm excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what opportunity are you referring to? i'm confused

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait you are not moving to Seattle? I do NOT approve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.affirmation.org/learning/lds_discipline_and_excommunication.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am curious - why do you want to 'beat them to the punch'?

    But, as Alan said - follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand the desire to want to avoid a church disciplinary court (if I am correct in assuming that is part of the reason why you want to beat them to the punch). Just be aware that depending on how your Bishop/Stake President feel, they could still initiate disciplinary action against you. And don't use that form letter they have on the internet, writing a brief letter in your own words is much more effective.

    Assuming you want to maintain your records indefinitely, here is my suggestion: You're moving in June right? Hopefully it's to a new ward (a new stake would be a double bonus). If you don't provide your current ward with your new address/city/whatever then your records should eventually be transferred into a large holding group for people with unknown addresses in the United States and Canada. Sometimes church leaders will try to contact your family for current address information, but if they don't provide any, your records can remain there forever without any consequences. If your records are still in your parent's ward, this becomes a little more complicated. You might want to have them moved to a singles ward first, and then make your planned move in June. Might be more complicated then it's worth, but once you get those records into the unknown group, it's very easy for them to stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alan: Thanks!

    Todd: :D

    Allen: :( Sorry

    Kurt: So what you're saying is that I shouldn't stress?

    Abe: I really am just scared of them taking action against me. I'd rather give them the reasons why I'm choosing to leave rather than them forcing me out... Its the "quit before you're fired" mentality.

    Genio: Your assumptions are right. My records are in a singles' ward, but the leaders there have already proven that they have no problem going to my parents to get information. I'm sure there is a way tho that I could ensure that my records made it into that holding area. I'd rather Jesus reviewed my case rather than a high counsel. Nor would I enjoy taking such actions into my own hands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. do come to seattle eventually!!! it'd be way fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Austin, come to utah to visit us....ok we accept

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your resignation become effective at the time you sign and submit it. The chuch cannot legally continue procedings against you after your have resigned. If they do, you can sue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stay true to your own heart. If you can't live the LDS lifestyle, being part of the church won't do much for you. You'll sit there feeling shame and guilt instead of peace. I sort of think its better to leave than go through disciplinary councils. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just kind of ran across your blog. From what I hear, they do not actively hunt down gay members to excommunicate them. In fact, if you have not been to the temple, I doubt they ever would. They might disfellowship you, but I have never heard of a Priest being excommunicated. Also, it seems that the Church has stopped excommunicating gay men who have never been married. Not certain on that, but it seems to be that way.

    Even having served a mission and being endowed, I am not afraid of being ex'ed. Truth be told, I wouldn't mind if they did, but I think excommunicating gay members could easily turn into a PR disaster, so I would not expect it. Of course, like everyone else said, if you do not want to be a member, then I think you are better off resigning your membership. I am considering doing the same. Despite what parts of Mormonism I may still believe, I no longer feel comfortable being part of an organization that is so focused on destroying others' families and taking away rights that they so freely enjoy.

    ReplyDelete