This resurrected habit of mine has shocked some people and I've been bombarded by people asking, "Why do you still want to go to church?"
I know right? It seems odd. I am not exactly the epitome of Peter Priesthood, and yet I still like going to church in an LDS chapel.
So why is this?
I know right? It seems odd. I am not exactly the epitome of Peter Priesthood, and yet I still like going to church in an LDS chapel.
So why is this?
- I do it for me.
- I do it for Father in Heaven.
- I've come to need that one hour in the week, dedicated to God, to recenter my life.
- It's a good time to step out of the world and really listen for answers to my prayers.
- It reminds me that I'm doing the right thing: the Spirit that I feel in that building, is the same Spirit I feel when I rest my head on Todd's chest.
The other question I get a lot is, "But why in the LDS Church? There are lots of Christian churches out there."
That's true.
There are three main reasons I still choose the LDS chapels over others though.
1) I still believe that the Mormons have the fullness of Christ's Gospel. Whether they preach or practice it is a topic for another post.
2) The only time that I have actually heard the voice of God speak to me was in an LDS chapel.
3) It's familiar. This is the Church that I was raised with. I know this is a weak reason, but I am the way I am today because of the Church for one reason or another. Honestly, I like the way I turned out.
That's true.
There are three main reasons I still choose the LDS chapels over others though.
1) I still believe that the Mormons have the fullness of Christ's Gospel. Whether they preach or practice it is a topic for another post.
2) The only time that I have actually heard the voice of God speak to me was in an LDS chapel.
3) It's familiar. This is the Church that I was raised with. I know this is a weak reason, but I am the way I am today because of the Church for one reason or another. Honestly, I like the way I turned out.
For all you worried priesthood leaders reading, you can rest your mind to know that I don't take the sacrament. It's not a matter of me feeling worthy or not. I am worthy in the sight of God, but I'm not living the way the Church deems "worthy" to take the sacrament. So out of respect to the organization I don't partake of the bread and water.
Maybe I'm crazy, and really I'm doing more harm than good by attending a church that vows to never except my love as legitimate or real.
This may be a long term study...
This may be a long term study...


I think if it makes you happy, you should go for it. I sure can't imagine being happy in an LDS chapel, but then again many people can't imagine being happy in a gay relationship.
ReplyDeleteI think you are crazy, but I think you know what is best for you. I will put my $20 on the line though that you don't go much longer.
Austin, it is the smae thing that I do every week. I attend and challenge, just by my presence, other's assumptions about the "godless homosexuals" who knows, you might be helping some poor kids parents tone down a level so that kid has an easier time of coming out.
ReplyDeletePersonally, this give ms a great deal of respect and admiration for you.
ReplyDeleteIt's really about where you feel comfortable. I think the LDS faith will always be home for me. It's where I grow up. I don't think, I could attend another church, it wouldn't feel like home to me.
ReplyDeleteWell-reasoned and respectful. I'm sure God is pleased with your decision and understands your reasons, Austin. And I agree with what David said.
ReplyDelete"It reminds me that I'm doing the right thing: the Spirit that I feel in that building, is the same Spirit I feel when I rest my head on Todd's chest." <--- That's really beautiful.
ReplyDeleteHey I get the same questions every week. I have been going. I do it for me and that is what matters
ReplyDeleteAustin, I think it is awesome that you are so authentic and unconcerned about having to justify your spiritual needs.
ReplyDeleteI also love what David said.
I really liked this post. It's good that you are doing it for you and for no other reason, and being respectful about it. I remember telling someone that if I were to ever have a boyfriend, I would still attend church. This has bothered some people, but I think we draw too distinct of a line between homosexuality and religion to the point that many people think one cannot exist while the other is present. Thanks for such a thoughtful post!
ReplyDeleteYou are not crazy and you are not doing more harm than good to your body- attending church no matter what religion- attending church is setting aside a time once a week to respect the Lord. This is actually helping you in this crazy world!
ReplyDelete