Now, I'm sure that someone out there will say that their mom and dad were different and instead taught them the facts of life early on. However I feel that most of you can relate. I think most Mormon parents, like mine, tend to "Protect" their children by shielding them from the harsh realities of life. There were things going on around me that my parents believed were too much for me to handle or understand. So instead of giving me solid, real, answers, they chose to "Protect" me.
They did this in 3 ways.
- Pacifying me by give me a fictitious answer that I would except as "truth" and get me to stop asking.
- Give me only half of the truth and ignore the uncomfortable nitty-gritty details.
- Completely ignore the fact that I had asked such a question.
They did this because, honestly, they felt in their hearts that it was in my best interest to do so.
I chose to protect my parents, because I honestly felt in my heart that it was in their best interest for me to do so.
Seventeen days ago (the day before I left for my California get-away) my parents confronted me about my blog. My mother wanted to know if I was "living a double life on this blog of [mine]".
No mom. Kim Possible lives a double life. Severus Snape lived a double life. I lived a double life my senior year when I was too afraid to tell you (or anyone for that matter) that I had a boyfriend. But not anymore...
I've been completely open with my parents about the fact that I'm gay and that I have no desire to change my orientation or to be celibate. I have let them know how I feel about certain issues (the Church, gay marriage and families, God, ect.)
But there were things in my life that I wanted to "Protect" them from. There were things that were going on in my life that I believed were too much for them to handle or understand. But in my effort to "Protect I decided that my parents three ways of handling my questions were not effective. I would "Protect" by avoiding topics like sex, drinking and tattoos, but be honest with them if they asked. I knew, however, that they wouldn't ask because they didn't want the answers to such questions. Easy enough right?
I'm sad that I can't "Protect" them from the realities of my life, but its ok that they know. I'm completely open and honest here on my blog and I have it set to public for a reason.
I found out where babies come from and what really happened to Lucy, the dog. My parents got their answers too.
I chose to protect my parents, because I honestly felt in my heart that it was in their best interest for me to do so.
Seventeen days ago (the day before I left for my California get-away) my parents confronted me about my blog. My mother wanted to know if I was "living a double life on this blog of [mine]".
No mom. Kim Possible lives a double life. Severus Snape lived a double life. I lived a double life my senior year when I was too afraid to tell you (or anyone for that matter) that I had a boyfriend. But not anymore...
I've been completely open with my parents about the fact that I'm gay and that I have no desire to change my orientation or to be celibate. I have let them know how I feel about certain issues (the Church, gay marriage and families, God, ect.)
But there were things in my life that I wanted to "Protect" them from. There were things that were going on in my life that I believed were too much for them to handle or understand. But in my effort to "Protect I decided that my parents three ways of handling my questions were not effective. I would "Protect" by avoiding topics like sex, drinking and tattoos, but be honest with them if they asked. I knew, however, that they wouldn't ask because they didn't want the answers to such questions. Easy enough right?
I'm sad that I can't "Protect" them from the realities of my life, but its ok that they know. I'm completely open and honest here on my blog and I have it set to public for a reason.
I found out where babies come from and what really happened to Lucy, the dog. My parents got their answers too.


I think "protecting" people from the truth almost always ends up causing more pain and harm than good. I'm glad you're finding your own way and no longer hesitant to be truthful to those around you.
ReplyDeleteI admire your courage Austin.
ReplyDeleteMe too, your maturity and level headness is quiet impressive for someone your age. Moreso then me. I hope to have the same transparency with all those in my life one day soon.
ReplyDelete