Friday, February 27, 2009

Come Out!

I did it. I came out to my parents tonight. Sorta.

I should explain. My family already knew I was gay, they just didn't know that I plan on staying gay. They had really high hopes that I would get "fixed" and move on with life. They're acceptance of me was actually of the person they hoped I would be one day. All I needed was to know that they still love and accept me as I am (and forever will be), a gay mormon, a queer son, a faggot brother. 

I had planed on having this talk with them in about a month, when I get back from my trip to Washington, but things played out differently. My parents were getting ready to go on a date, and I felt an overwhelming push from the spirit to have this talk with my mom then and there.
I just started crying and asked her if she would love me even if I ended up marring a boy. She totally lost composure and started crying and telling me that she just wanted us to be together in the Celestial Kingdom. My dad walked in at about this point and took control. 

I whole-heartedly love my father. That's not common from what I see of the gay community. I honestly love him though. He said some beautiful things to me. He told me that he wanted me to he happy, successful, and loved in this life. He also wanted me to know that he would never turn his back on me. There were other concerns that arose and we had to sort those out, but over all it went well. They are afraid that I'm too young, or that I've rushed into this decision, but they don't realize that I've had 19 years to obsess over every possible question associated with this. it may take a while for this decision to settle in with them, but its a huge relief to just have it out on the table :) I like being authentic.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! It's a tough thing to do, but it's better when you do, even if it sometimes doesn't feel like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda feel like your faking it. Your dad loves you and your gay??? Faker. :)

    Good job. Be you even when it is uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations... it's only easier from here, IMHO. BTW, I love the name of your blog. I'm a big fan of innuendo.

    ReplyDelete